PAR’s SureCheck solution helps owners avoid a foodborne illness outbreak and the PR nightmare that comes with it.
It’s every restaurant owner’s worst nightmare. The phone rings early in the morning, and it’s a public health official looking for you. He says there’s been a foodborne illness outbreak and the hundreds of victims have one thing in common: they all recently ate at your restaurant. You turn on the television to see pictures of your business on the local and national news.
How could this have happened?
Unfortunately, this happens more than you think. Foodborne diseases cause an estimated 48 million illnesses and 3,000 deaths annually, costing the U.S. economy between $152 billion to $1.4 trillion every year. Of the 48 million reported cases, 68% are attributed to restaurants and delis! No restaurant owner ever intends for a foodborne illness outbreak to happen. PR nightmare aside; they certainly don’t want to be the cause of guests becoming ill.
How to Prevent Foodborne Illnesses
A recent PAR blog post called “The Core 4 Principles of Food Safety Prevention” talked about four things restaurants can do to prevent a foodborne illness outbreak. This includes:
1) Clean: Establish cleaning mandates and procedures to reduce the risk of foodborne illnesses.
2) Separate: Properly separate food to avoid cross-contamination and the growth of bacteria.
3) Cook: Cook all food to the recommended internal temperature.
4) Chill: Transport, store, and prepare food at an appropriate temperature
Most owners want to do more than these standard food safety recommendations. They want to collect information to prove they are doing everything in their power to keep the food they sell safe, should their business ever end up on the evening news.
PAR’s SureCheck Advantage is a handheld IoT mobile solution designed specifically for food quality and task management. It is fully customizable and features a probe, infrared, and RFID scanner to electronically measure the temperature of food.
Why is the Temperature of Food so Important?
Foodborne illnesses are more likely to occur when the temperature of food is mismanaged. Therefore, it is critical to maintain its ideal temperature from farm to fork.
As an owner, you need to know the temperature of everything you serve from the time it left your supplier, while it is in transit, when it arrives, and while it is under your roof. Monitoring that alone seems like a lot of work. But it doesn’t have to be with SureCheck Advantage.
Here’s how the SureCheck Advantage mobile solution works:
1) The handheld device has a probe, infrared and RFID scanner to track and measure the temperature of each product.
2) SureCheck software prompts employees to complete important food safety checklists like the HACCP checklist mandated by the FDA.
3) This data is immediately sent to a secure cloud in real-time using Bluetooth wireless technology.
4) The cloud-based web application collects the data and turns it into usable information that you can customize, store, filter, and analyze.
5) Owners can instantly view important information like execution timing, missing checklists, non-observed items, top violations and details, single checklist detail, and daily summaries.
This data ensures you have done everything in your power to keep the food you sell safe, and it relieves you of having to micromanage the process.
Make a List, Check it Twice, and Maintain it to Prove Your Innocence
It’s one thing to have food safety procedures in place at your restaurant; it’s something else entirely to have the data to prove these procedures are being followed by your entire staff.
When faced with questions from reporters about the temperature and quality of your food, SureCheck Advantage provides the facts you need to prove your innocence. With the right PR strategy in place, these records can be the best defense against complaints and blame that could leave your reputation on the line.
Why Aren’t You Using SureCheck?
PAR’s SureCheck solution can help your business avoid being the cause of a foodborne illness outbreak, and the PR nightmare that comes with it. No one wants to be the reason for someone getting sick. You certainly didn’t open a restaurant to see it closed over an incident that could have been easily avoided using smart technology. SureCheck gives you the peace of mind that you have done everything possible to keep the food you sell safe, and the data to back it up.
PAR offers SureCheck Advantage, an Intel-based IoT solution focused on food safety. It comes equipped with three temperature-measuring modes (traditional, infrared, and RFID), an Intel Atom processor inside, and features Bluetooth wireless connectivity. Learn more about SureCheck Advantage and how it can help meet your food safety needs!